October 23, 2007

8 days of Raya (Part 1)

For us 5 siblings, it started from the night of Raya- first and I hope won't be the last 'Siblings Conference' in our family...

Pagi raya:

We gathered at Nisa'a's place this year (and only reached there after a few phone calls asking where we were :D) When Mak Long slipped an angpau into my hand and I had this expression in which my cousin Nisa'a looked at me weirdly. "Sorry eh, kak… Rindu duit raya… And I'll be getting this for the next 3 years too!" and I flashed a big grin to her- she laughed.

By the time I was snapping photos, most had gone and we amused ourselves 'layan'-ing little cousin Afzal who was so fascinated with the fan.

We headed back to kampong (which by the way in Kuala Selangor only) that evening. Since we no longer have Fiat Ulysee with us, we had to take 2 cars- Syafiq, Zirah and me in one car. By the time we reached kampong, the rain fell so heavily. Soon as I saw Mak Lang, I said "Nak tuntut jemput-jemput ni!" with a big grin- and she did make them! Then I amused myself again with ‘layan’-ing small cousins with my camera while waiting for the jemput-jemput. Tired of playing with them, I ushered them to go downstairs to eat.


For your info, jemput-jemput Mak Lang is our family tradition on 2nd Raya breakfast in kampong back when everyone slept over in kampong. But I guessed we’d move it to tea instead now.

Day 2:

Our family, Mak Teh’s family, Achik's family and Pak Andak's family went to Pak Ngah's place for lunch. I snapped more photos and I realized I may need one with sharper focus in near future. Yesterday Ummi and I decided to have purple songket for us unmarried cousins of Kak Fiza to wear during her wedding in December and today we insisted on it again.


That evening we went to Tok Su's house in Kelana Jaya- literally behind Kompleks Tabung Haji. Zirah pointed the road to Amal's place.




Day 3:

Orang kampong supposedly came to our house for lunch but they ended up reaching our place around half past 3. Truthfully, I loved family gathering like this. It made me realized that we're quite close (with most of us living around Klang Valley anyway) and during gathering such as this, we're so riuh and bising.

After Maghrib, we went to Pak Andak's place- dinner with the same menu as years before.
Day 4:

Believe it or not, today’s our family spring cleaning session (yeah, smile all you want…) Got rid of unnecessary stuff (which a quarter of them were mine, I have to admit), re-arranged the white book rack into my brother’s room and re-arrange books on the shelves. I looked through my own ‘junk’ and my own eyebrow raised at the stack of magazines, pin-ups and posters I had back during the time when I was into this music stuff… God, I wasted my money on these?! *rolls eyes*

Also found my old diary entries, cards and mementos my friends gave me during raya, before I moved to Kerteh and before my departure to Perth- those I had to keep to be placed into my special scarp-book project (when I can find time to actually sit and do it in the future). Then I found the book where I placed paper cuttings about child abuse and such- things that I was into during the time I wanted to join KCFTC- maybe I could still go ahead with my old projects, this time around as part of Young Mercy’s projects (part of CUCMS’ syllabus)

Pak Long’s family came tonight. I joked with Aween- a cousin of mine who’s my age but has graduated from UTP and will soon be working- Next year it’s her turn to give angpau and equally she suggested for a new rule that cousins of same age (and that means me) won’t be receiving any angpau. Har har…
TBC...

No comments:

Post a Comment