April 10, 2006

It's not about you. It's never about you!

Lepas lunch. Masuk lift untuk ke Ward 9B- my port.
'I want to be a good doctor'
Tiba-tiba the thought bermain dalam kepala.
How ironic... dulu-dulu masa sekolah menengah rendah beriya-iya tak nak jadi doktor- 'even if it's the last job on Earth, I won't even consider it!'

I've come a long way to be where I am now. I still have a long way to go. Make the most of it.
Tak tahu dari mana semangat itu datang, tapi kini di alam 'clinical years' membawa satu semangat- keep on trying!
Bila teringat forwarding email tentang artikel Mengapa Harus Begini: Krisis Sikap di Institusi Kesihatan, teringat kata-kata Prof. Geoff Riley (Associate Dean- Student Affair) on the very first day of our clinical year:
"It's not about you. It's never about you!"
Hanya semata-mata anda pelajar perubatan, it doesn't make you any higher than a nurse. Respect is the keyword.

Tertarik dengan ayat ini: "Mengapakah masyarakat Barat yang rata-rata tidak bertuhan, mempunyai etika kerja yang baik? Mereka berhemah dengan pesakit, mereka bersikap profesional di dalam kerjaya."

Indeed it is very true. Benda pertama yg di-drill dlm kepala kami everytime jumpa patient: Introduce yourself & gain consent!

I want to be a good doctor. And it is not about me. It is about the patient. Above all, they are human first before they are your patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment