February 17, 2006

First Rotation: Gen. Med.

The past month has been exciting... but also busy and tiring.
I got back home everyday finding myself really tired, that I slept as early as 8.30 pm sometimes.
Nevertheles, Intro term has been really interesting...

I mean, where else can you find interesring experience such as bathe the patients, make their bed, accompany them to tests, check their BP, oxygen sats & temp as well as give them insulin injection other than in Nursing Attachment?
Granted 2 out of the 4 days I felt very useless doing nothing, just standing at the ward corridor without any nurse willing to let medical students around them, but that's life of us I guess- we have to chase them.

Then there are useful tutes with our resident and registrars. Despite their busy time, they could still allocate some for us Really appriciate their effort.

And of course, nothing could beat the times I'm at Specimen Collection- becoming the 'day vampire', taking patients blood! That was awesome, especially when I was given the chance to come with a nurse to Psych Ward (and other wards) and took the patients' blood there.

Today's the last day I'll be here in Fremantle Hospital- learn to scrub, a tute and debriefing session. Next week I'm starting my first rotation in General Medicine. That should be more interesting.

'Ta Freo Hosp. RPH, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment