March 19, 2005

The Wonder of Questions- Series 1: Part 1

I'm reading a book on aqidah/tauhid at the moment, and as I go along, I decided to do a short summary of what I've learned through the book, what I've learned through experiences and through various lectures I've been to. Thus, I'm starting this series: The Wonder of Questions. Series 1 have 3 parts. Today I put on Part 1:

Islam. Just hearing the name brings peace to human, whether they admit it or not. I've been to a lecture called Islam: A True Religion. And according to the lecturer, definition of true and religion is so subjective that people can take it whichever direction they wanted. I agree.

But let's be realistic here: when we say religion, we only think about spiritual relationship between human and the God. Full stop.

However, Islam holds more definitions, deeper meaning than that. Linguistically, Islam means surrender or submission. Broader approach, Islam means a complete submission to Allah. For me, it's ad-Deen, which means my WAY OF LIFE which underlies rules, regulation, limitation, liberation of how I should live. And according to Syeikh Khalid Yasin, it's a SYSTEM (to put it simply) which has many components that complete it.

Whichever way you put it, it is something: a guideline, a path, an-nur (light) and a way, which is given by Allah through his messengers to bring human back into the right way to return to Him one day.

This is the basis of syahadah: I believe there is no God except Allah, and I believe Muhammad (peace be upon him, p.b.u.h) is His messenger.

Thus, when we realize this, it's clear that everything in the Quran and Sunnah are the ways of life, guideline of living, advices, warnings, and good news that Allah has given to us via His messenger: Muhammad (p.b.u.h).

If we take the SYSTEM approach, hence, the components would be guidelines of how to submit oneself to Allah (fiqh), solid belief to Allah (tauhid), how one should behave (akhlak), what have happened in the past (seerah), laws, rules, regulation, limitation on our daily lives that include on economics, science, law, philosophy, arts, history and everything. It touches our life from the moment we open our eyes in the morning till we close our eyes to sleep, and in between those periods.

One question: WHY would Allah sent us Islam?

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment